We started on the 2nd well in this community on the 7th of March. It has now been 2 weeks and this well still isn’t yet finished. In fact, we encountered so much difficulty, we’ve actually abandoned the hole and are re-grouping now, needing to re-design the drill bit. While I was in Bolivia, Terry designed a new rock bit that I’m now trying to replicate here in Uganda.
Bosco and Solomon started this well while I was in Kampala with Sherry. In the process of trying to drill, we broke 4 drill bits and have now to this point abandoned 3 holes! The last one was a grand total of 5 meters deep (about 16 feet), where we were finally defeated by the rock I knew this was going to be a long process, learning what materials we need, what the geology is like in various locations, etc. But I didn’t expect it to be this hard!
The good news is that the first well, which inspired the community to change their name, is now supplying an unlimited amount of water to whoever comes to pump. Bosco was there last Saturday and watched as one lady filled 4 jerry cans (80 liters), another lady 10 liters and yet another man an additional 10 liters. At that point, the people were tired of pumping . . . But the well wasn’t tired of delivering! It never pumped dry—and the people couldn’t be happier about it!
While I’m working on the new rock bits for “the place where water NOW flows,” we are also going to start drilling in 2 other communities as a part of the process of learning how to drill here in Uganda.
Thanks for keeping up with us!